Applies to these roles: Author, Reporter, Admin
With the timeline block, your learners can explore media-rich events on a timeline. You can easily add and reorder events, then add text and media to create a visually stunning, engaging series. It’s much more interesting than a list of dates in a textbook! Read on for more details.
- Insert a Timeline Block
- Modify Timeline Events
- Add, Delete, and Reorder Events
- Customize the Block Settings
Step 1: Insert a Timeline Block
- Open a Rise course, then edit an existing lesson or create a new one.
- Click All Blocks in the blocks shortcut bar or the insert block icon (+) that appears when you mouse-over a boundary between blocks.
- From the sidebar that appears, choose the Interactive category in the block library, then select Timeline.
Step 2: Modify Timeline Events
There are a lot of ways you can modify timeline events, from adding text to importing media.
- Mouse-over your timeline block and click the Edit button that appears.
- Select an event, then do any of the following.
Add Text - Edit (or delete) the event date, title, and description.
Add Media - Click the camera icon to upload an image or video, choose a new stock image, or embed web content (such as a YouTube video). You can replace the uploaded media, add alt tags to images, or remove the media by clicking Edit. Media displays below the event description.
Add Audio - Click the microphone icon to upload an audio file or record narration. You can pause while recording, but Rise won’t save your in-progress recording until you click Stop Recording. Audio displays above the event description.
Step 3: Add, Delete, and Reorder Events
- In edit mode, click the Add Event button at the bottom of the sidebar to add events to the timeline.
- Drag events up and down the sidebar to reorder the list. Events are automatically numbered and will renumber themselves when you rearrange them. Events are listed by event number in the sidebar unless you give them a custom title.
- To delete an event, hover over it in the sidebar or in the main body of the window and click the trash icon that appears.
- When you’re finished, click the Close button in the upper right corner to return to your lesson.
Step 4: Customize the Block Settings
In addition to customizing the content, you can modify how the block itself displays.
- Mouse-over your timeline block and click the Settings button that appears.
- Increase or decrease the top and bottom padding using the appropriate drop-down menus.
- Change the background color for your timeline block by entering a different hex color code or clicking the color swatch and selecting a new color. Click clear to reset the block to the default background color.
- Click the X in the upper right corner of the sidebar to close it.