Applies to these roles: Author, Reporter, Admin
Videos are great for enhancing your lessons and providing deeper engagement for your learners. That’s why we make it easy with a video block and video upload options within many interactive blocks.
Here’s how to get started.
- Insert a Video Block
- Insert a Video into an Interactive Block
- Disable Playback Speed
- Add Captions to Videos
Insert a Video Block
- Open a Rise course, then edit an existing lesson or create a new one.
- Select Video from the blocks shortcut bar or click the insert block icon (+) that appears when you mouse-over a boundary between blocks.
- When you insert a block between existing blocks, choose the Multimedia category in the sidebar, then select Video.
- To upload your own video, hover over the block, click the Edit button that appears, and then click Change. Choose your own video and click OK.
For best results, we recommend using high-quality videos with a 16:9 screen ratio. The maximum file size is 5 GB. More details on video compression can be found here.
Disable Forward Seeking
By default, forward seeking is enabled for video blocks. To disable this option:
- Mouse-over a video block, then click the Edit button that appears in the upper left corner of the block.
- When the sidebar opens, click the Settings tab.
- Uncheck Allow Forward Seeking.
Here are answers to some common questions about disabling forward seeking:
Can learners rewind a video when forward seeking is disabled?
Learners can rewind the portion of the video they’ve already watched, but they can’t move the seekbar forward to skip ahead. (On mobile devices, it might appear that learners can drag the seekbar forward, but the video won't actually skip ahead.)
Can learners fast-forward a video the next time they view it?
If forward seeking is disabled, learners can fast-forward after watching the entire video up until they close the course. If learners close the course and launch it again later, forward seeking will be disabled until they watch the entire video once more.
Can forward seeking for videos in interactive blocks be modified?
Forward seeking can’t be disabled for videos in interactive block types, such as accordions, tabs, or knowledge checks.
Require Learners to Watch Videos Before Moving On
When you disable forward seeking, learners can’t fast-forward through videos, but they can skip over videos without watching them. Here’s how to require learners to watch video blocks before moving on with the lesson.
- Disable forward seeking as described previously.
- Restrict course navigation or turn off the course sidebar so learners can’t skip lessons.
- Add a continue block after video blocks. Set the Completion Type to require learners to complete the block(s) above the continue block.
Watch Picture-in-Picture Videos
Learners can play videos using picture-in-picture mode in browsers that support it, such as Google Chrome and Firefox. Clicking the Picture-in-Picture icon moves the video to a floating window so learners can watch it and scroll through lesson content at the same time.
Insert a Video into an Interactive Block
On interactive blocks such as tabs, process, and timeline, hover over the block and click the Edit button. Select the element where you’d like to add media, click the camera icon, then upload your video. After adding the video, you can replace or remove it by clicking Edit.
Disable Playback Speed
Playback speed lets learners select a playback speed that’s comfortable to them, from 0.25x up to 2x, they just need to click the icon to the right of the time remaining. It's enabled by default for all videos and video blocks. Here’s how to turn it off.
- From the course outline, click Settings and select the Navigation tab.
- At the bottom of the page, toggle the Video Playback Speed slider to Off.
- Click Close.
Add Captions to Videos
Make your training more accessible by adding closed captions to videos, even those in the prebuilt lessons in Rise. Simply import a caption file for each language. Click here to learn more.