Applies to these roles: Author, Reporter, Admin
Chart blocks in Rise let you transform boring data into beautiful and engaging bar, line, and pie charts. Learners can mouse-over each data point to see details. Here’s how they work.
Step 1: Insert a Chart Block
- Open a Rise course, then edit an existing blocks lesson or create a new one.
- Select All Blocks from the blocks shortcut bar or click the insert block icon (+) that appears when you mouse-over a boundary between blocks.
- From the sidebar that appears, choose the Chart category.
- Choose which chart type you’d like to use: Bar, Line, or Pie.
Step 2: Modify the Chart Block
You can enter titles and item and value labels, as well as select the type of chart you’d like to use.
- Mouse-over your chart block and click the Chart Type button that appears. Choose between bar, line, or pie.
- Click the Edit button that appears to enter the chart title and item and value labels for your chart in the sidebar.
Each chart can display up to 12 items and values. Item labels can be up to 30 characters long. Values don’t have a limit. Just keep in mind that negative values are ignored on pie charts, but will display on bar and line charts.
For pie charts, you can also select colors for individual items by clicking the color icon to the right of the item label. Line and bar charts will use your theme color by default but can be modified in the block settings.
- Drag item/value pairs up and down the list to reorder. To delete an item/value pair, hover over it in the sidebar and click the icon that appears.
- When you’re finished, click the X in the upper right corner to close the sidebar and return to your lesson.
Step 3: Customize the Settings
Click here to learn how to modify how the block itself displays. Here are a few additional things to keep in mind:
- If you change the background color of the block, the item and value labels will switch to black or white so that they remain visible.
- You can change the color for your line or bar charts the same way you do background color or click Clear to have the line or bar chart display in black.
- For line charts, you can select either curved or straight lines.
- For pie charts, you can choose to display values as numbers or percentages.