Applies to these roles: Author, Reporter, Admin
Chart blocks in Rise let you transform boring data into beautiful and engaging bar, line, and pie charts. Learners can mouse-over each data point to see details. Here’s how they work.
Step 1: Insert a Chart Block
- Open a Rise 360 course, then edit an existing blocks lesson or create a new one.
- Select All Blocks from the blocks shortcut bar or click the insert block icon (+) that appears when you mouse-over a boundary between blocks.
- From the sidebar that appears, choose the Chart category.
- Choose which chart type you’d like to use: Bar, Line, or Pie.
Step 2: Modify the Chart Block
You can enter titles and item and value labels, as well as select the type of chart you’d like to use.
- Mouse-over your chart block and click the Chart Type button that appears. Choose between bar, line, or pie.
- Click the Edit button that appears to enter the chart title and item and value labels for your chart in the sidebar.
Each chart can display up to 12 items and values. Item labels can be up to 30 characters long. Values don’t have a limit. Just keep in mind that negative values are ignored on pie charts, but will display on bar and line charts.
For pie charts, you can also select colors for individual items by clicking the color icon to the right of the item label. Line and bar charts will use your theme color by default but can be modified in the block settings.
- Drag item/value pairs up and down the list to reorder. To delete an item/value pair, hover over it in the sidebar and click the icon that appears.
- When you’re finished, click the X in the upper right corner to close the sidebar and return to your lesson.
Step 3: Customize the Settings
In addition to customizing the content, you can modify how the block and chart displays.
- Mouse-over your chart block and click the Edit button that appears. Select the Settings tab.
- Increase or decrease the top and bottom padding using the appropriate drop-down menus.
- Change the background color for your chart block by entering a different hex color code or clicking the color swatch and selecting a new color. Your item and value labels will switch to black or white so that they remain visible. Click Clear if you’d prefer to remove the background color.
- Change the color for your line or bar charts by entering a different hex color code or clicking the color swatch and selecting a new color. Click Clear to have the line or bar chart display in black.
- For line charts, you can select either curved or straight lines.
- For pie charts, you can choose to display values as numbers or percentages.
- Click the X in the upper right corner of the sidebar to close it.