Applies to these roles: Author, Reporter, Admin
Drag, drop, repeat. Learners can test their knowledge with sorting activity blocks, sorting items into categories with fun drag-and-drop interactions.
Sorting activities are ungraded, but learners see feedback as soon as they drop items on categories. A check mark appears when an item is dropped on the correct target, then the item disappears. If learners drop an item on the wrong target, it momentarily shakes, then returns to its starting position so they can try again. Once they’re finished, they’ll see how many they got right on the first attempt.
Step 1: Insert a Sorting Activity Block
- Open a Rise course, then edit an existing lesson or create a new one.
- Select Sorting from the blocks shortcut bar or click the insert block icon (+) that appears when you mouse-over a boundary between blocks.
- When you insert a sorting activity between existing blocks, choose the Interactive category in the sidebar, then select Sorting Activity.
Step 2: Add and Modify Categories and Items
- Mouse-over your sorting activity block and click the Edit button that appears.
- Modify the title of each sample category and the text of each sample item. Keep in mind the category and character limits described below.
- Click the Add an Item button to add more items in each category.
- Click the New Category button to add more categories.
- To delete a category or item, hover over it and click the trash icon that appears.
- Click Close in the upper right corner of the screen to return to your lesson.
Category and Character Limits
- Each sorting activity can have up to four categories or drop targets.
- Each category can have an unlimited number of items.
- Each item can have up to 80 characters of text.
- Because of limited screen space on smartphones, each item can have up to three lines of text when viewed in portrait mode, which could be fewer than 80 characters of text. You can preview sorting activities in Rise and switch to mobile portrait mode to make sure all your text displays correctly.
Step 3: Customize the Block Settings
In addition to customizing the content, you can modify how the block itself displays.
- Mouse-over your sorting activity block and click the Settings button that appears.
- Increase or decrease the top and bottom padding using the appropriate drop-down menus.
- Add a background color by entering the hex code or manually selecting a color.
- Click the X in the upper right corner of the sidebar to close it.
Want to require learners to complete a sorting activity block? It's easy! Just add a continue block after your sorting activity.