Applies to these roles: Author, Reporter, Admin
Use process blocks in your Rise courses to introduce linear concepts and let learners move through sequential steps. It’s as easy as 1-2-3!
Craft a carousel of media-rich steps with or without an introduction and summary. Here’s how.
- Insert a Process Block
- Modify the Introduction and Summary
- Add and Edit Steps
- Customize the Block Settings
Step 1: Insert a Process Block
- Open a Rise course, then edit an existing lesson or create a new one.
- Select Process from the blocks shortcut bar or click the insert block icon (+) that appears when you mouse-over a boundary between blocks.
- When you insert a process block between existing blocks, choose the Interactive category in the sidebar, then select Process.
Step 2: Modify the Introduction and Summary
By default, an introduction and summary appear before and after the numbered steps in your process interaction. The introduction has a button that starts the process, and the summary has a button that takes you back to the beginning when you’re finished. Here's how to edit the introduction and summary or turn them off if you don’t need them.
- Mouse-over your process block and click the Edit button that appears.
- Change the introduction and summary titles if you prefer different wording. (They'll still display as "Introduction" and "Summary" in the sidebar.)
- Modify the sample descriptions and add any media you’d like.
- If you don’t need an introduction or summary, click the eye icon to the left of each title in the sidebar to hide one or both. When they’re disabled, your process starts with Step 1 and ends with the last step, and there’s no option to automatically jump back to the beginning.
Step 3: Add and Edit Steps
There are a lot of ways to modify your steps, from adding text to importing media.
- From the edit screen, click the Add Step button at the bottom of the sidebar to add steps to the process.
- Drag steps up and down the sidebar to reorder the list. Steps are automatically numbered and renumber themselves when you rearrange them.
- Select each step in your interaction, then do any of the following.
Add Text - Edit (or delete) the title and description.
Add Media - Click the camera icon to upload an image or video, browse Content Library, or embed web content (such as a YouTube video). After adding media, you can replace it, add an alt tag to an image, or remove the media by clicking Edit.
Add Audio - Click the microphone icon to upload an audio file or record narration. You can pause while recording, but Rise won’t save your in-progress recording until you click Stop Recording.
- If you need to delete a step, hover over it and click the trash icon that appears.
- When you’re finished, click Close in the upper right corner to return to your lesson.
- On desktop computers, learners navigate a process block by clicking the previous and next arrows or using the step counter below the interaction to jump between steps.
- On tablets and smartphones, learners navigate a process block by swiping back and forth. A numbered step counter displays but isn't clickable on mobile devices.
Step 4: Customize the Block Settings
In addition to customizing the content, you can modify how the block itself displays.
- Mouse-over your process block and click the Settings button that appears.
- Increase or decrease the top and bottom padding using the appropriate drop-down menus.
- You can Enable zoom on image click or disable this setting.
- By default, steps in a process are labeled Step 1, Step 2, etc. You can change the step label for your entire course in the text label settings. For example, you might call them chapters or scenes. You can also override the course settings for an individual process block by entering a new value here in the Step Label field.
- Click the X in the upper right corner of the sidebar to close it.
Tip: Add a continue block after your process block when you want learners to complete it before moving on.