Applies to these roles: Author, Reporter, Admin
Create lean-forward moments by letting learners explore key components of an image with labeled graphic blocks. It’s as simple as uploading an image, then adding interactive markers to describe each element. Here’s how.
- Insert a Labeled Graphic Block
- Change the Labeled Graphic Block Image
- Add, Reorder, and Remove Markers
- Modify Markers
- Customize the Block Settings
Step 1: Insert a Labeled Graphic Block
- Open a Rise course, then edit an existing lesson or create a new one.
- Select Labeled Graphic from the blocks shortcut bar or click the insert block icon (+) that appears when you mouse-over a boundary between blocks.
- When you insert a labeled graphic block between existing blocks, choose the Interactive category in the sidebar, then select Labeled Graphic.
Step 2: Change the Labeled Graphic Block Image
You can replace the default image for a labeled graphic block.
- Mouse-over an existing labeled graphic block and click the Edit button that appears.
- Under the image, click Edit. From here you can upload your own image, search stock images, or edit the alt tag for screen readers.
Step 3: Add, Reorder, and Remove Markers
You can add more markers with one click!
- In edit mode, click the image where you want to add a marker and it’ll automatically appear.
- If you don’t like its placement, click and drag the marker to its final location (watch out that you don’t cover up other markers, making them harder to click).
- To reorder your markers, click Markers at the top of the sidebar to return to the markers list. Drag markers up and down to reorder the list.
- To delete a marker, mouse-over the entry for the marker you want to delete in the list on the left (it’ll be highlighted on the right when you mouse-over its entry), then click the trash icon that appears.
Step 4: Modify Markers
There are a lot of ways you can modify your markers, from adding text to importing media.
- In edit mode, select the marker you want to modify in the list on the left, then do any of the following.
Edit (or delete) the marker’s title and description in the sidebar.
Choose a Marker Style
In addition to numbers 0-9, there are lots of other marker styles and icons to choose from. Select a new style for your marker from the Marker Style drop-down window.
Click the camera icon to upload an image or video, choose a new stock image, or embed web content (such as a YouTube video). After adding it, you can replace the media, add an alt tag to an image, or remove the media by clicking Edit. The media displays below the title text when you expand the marker.
Upload an audio file or use the Record Audio tool. You can pause while recording, but Rise won’t save your in-progress recording until you click Stop Recording.
- Click Markers at the top of the sidebar to return to the markers list, then repeat the process to edit the other markers in your interaction.
- When you’re finished, click Close in the upper right corner to return to your lesson.
Step 5: Customize the Block Settings
In addition to customizing the content, you can tweak the settings for the labeled graphic block itself.
- Mouse-over your labeled graphic block and click the Settings button that appears.
- Increase or decrease the top and bottom padding using the appropriate drop-down menus.
- Add a background color by entering the hex code or using the Hex tool to manually select a color.
- Your image displays at medium width (1100 px wide) by default, but you can select small (760 px wide) or full width from the Image Width menu. Note that we respect image ratio, so pictures that are taller than they are wide will take up a large amount of space when expanded to full width.
- Click the X in the upper right corner of the sidebar to close it.
Tip: Add a continue block after your labeled graphic block when you want learners to complete it before moving on.